Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary

Mary, Mary, quite contrary,
How does your garden grow?
With silver bells, and cockle shells,
And pretty maids all in a row.


One of the miracles of spring is that things are growing and blossoming – and I didn't have to do anything to make it happen.

Life in central Wisconsin is pretty in pink at this time of year as dogwood, cherry and Hopa trees all bloom. So pretty.






This is also what I call "rhubarb season." Usually people are begging to get rid of it because they don't have enough uses or time for it.

Since I have two black thumbs and don't garden, I wasn't sure if the 'barbs were behind thanks to late-spring snow and cold. So I put out a shameless plea on Facebook: "What's a girl gotta do to get rhubarb around here?" And what do you know, I have some now.

My neighbor across the street said I could pop on over and pick some from her garden anytime. I hate to admit it but even though I have a general idea of what rhubarb looks like, I don't know how to pick it. I mean, do you pull it or cut it or what?

This is how I envision rhubarb growing...


Already cut and, yes, placed in a sealable plastic bag.

And that's how I got it, too. Plus offers for more! Thanks, dear friends, for taking pity on me and my lack of bloomin' knowledge!

Now, what to bake with it...


No comments: