Friday, May 10, 2019

Sad Like a Country Song


We said goodbye to our friend Greg (aka "Nut") today. A physical goodbye, that is. He will always live on in our hearts And no question about it, it will be always. Some people just have that power to put a stamp on your heart. It helps fill the hole there.

Based on the hundreds of people filling the church this morning – and the visitation last evening – I know hubby and I aren't the only ones who feel this way. We are blessed that we were among those he called friend.

We almost felt dehydrated last night from shedding so many tears. Thought maybe we ran out. But the funeral certainly resurrected them. For all of us.

I give props to his three kids – pictured above as children but now young adults in college – who started the service with his eulogy and memories.

They touched on many of the attributes I shared the other day: his kindness, his ability to be both humble and the life of the party, his unselfishness and goal to be sure everyone was happy and having a good time, his love for classic country and polka, his love for his wife – as he once bragged, "the only girlfriend he's ever had."

He was the best!

And now I can make you shed a tear or two with a poem that was shared:

When I am gone, release me, let me go,
You mustn't tie yourself to me with tears. 
Perhaps my time seemed all too brief;
Don't lengthen it now with undue grief.
Be happy that we had the years we did.

I gave you my love and you can only guess 
How much you gave me in happiness.
I thank you for the love each of you has shown,
But it's time to travel on alone.

I won't be far away, for life goes on.
So if you need me, call and I will come.
Though you can't see or touch me, I'll be near.
And if you listen within your heart, you'll hear
All of my love around you soft and clear.
Then when you must come this way alone,
I'll greet you with a smile and a big hug.

Dang, how we already miss that smile and hug! Rest in peace, Nut.

No comments: