Monday, July 6, 2020

Not Throwing Away My Shot


Nine months ago, my friend Cindy and I got to see Hamilton – unseating Wicked as my most anticipated musical. It did not disappoint. We both fell in love with the story AND the music.

We had to get season tickets to the Broadway Touring shows at the Appleton performing arts center, but it was worth it for our guaranteed seats to this show.

Due to COVID-19, we didn't get to see the last 3 shows in our package – though Dear Evan Hansen will come around in August of 2021. I guess seeing the theatre-goers' state of suffering prompted Disney to take advantage of the situation and offer a subscription to their Disney-plus streaming service, which includes a recording of Hamilton, as it was presented on Broadway.

I was going to wait until I had lots of free time to subscribe, but that $6.99 was burning a hole in my pocket – especially after so many friends watched it this past weekend when it first became available. So after supper, I signed up for a month (a bargain compared to theater pricing), ignored the severe weather outside, and joyfully sang along with Lin-Manuel Miranda, who not only created Hamilton, but portrayed him.

Thumbs up from this fan. The production was amazing to see in person and this lived up to it – partly because of the camera work and close-ups we couldn't see from our balcony seats, and partly because I know most of the songs now!

I forgive you for fleecing us, Disney. Just this once.

No comments: