Tuesday, March 8, 2022

It's Our Day, Ladies


Did you know it's International Women's Day? There's so many made-up holidays these days, but I think this is legit since it's International and it's all over the internet. 

International Women's Day is a global day celebrating the social, economic, cultural, and political achievements of women. This year's theme is breaking the bias...

Imagine a gender equal world.

A world free of bias, stereotypes, and discrimination.

A world that is diverse, equitable, and inclusive.

A world where difference is valued and celebrated.

Together we can forge women's equality.

Collectively we can all #BreakTheBias.

Very cool message. And it applies to so many levels. We're not just talking about women in the workplace or women of different races. 

Breaking the bias for me means... not accepting the old city council guys calling me "sweetheart" just because I was a young, female newspaper reporter... means dreaming bigger dreams than being a housewife just because my mother was... means recognizing and praising Mom for her courage to work outside the home for the first time in her late 40s... means just because I can't cook doesn't make me less of a wife or mother... means just because I am 50+ doesn't mean I can't bring fresh ideas or talent to the table... means I've earned every single wrinkle and scar – above and below the surface – and I should not be shamed.

Means we all deserve to love and be loved... and we deserve to love ourselves.

Because we're pretty darn amazing, aren't we? 

Shout out to the strong women in my life. From my mother and biological sisters to all you "sisters" out there who inspire me, love me, teach me, support me, listen to me and, my favorite, incircle me in your arms. Love you and thank you!

#BreakTheBias

No comments: