Tuesday, June 21, 2022

Hello, Summer

Nothing says "Hello, Summer" like memories of beach volleyball... replaced with new memories of beach football. Yup. Talking about Top Gun and the new Maverick sequel.

Since our hubbies had no interest in seeing it, my friend Jenny and I planned weeks ago that we'd go see it. Finally got it on the calendar and went tonight for $5 movie night. Very much worth it! How long have I liked Top Gun? Here's a clue...

This long! For you kids, that's called a cassette tape. And no, I don't have anything to play it on, but I can't part with it. 

The original movie came out in 1986. That fall, I believe the first weekend of college, a bunch of us from Angell Hall took the city bus out to the theater at the mall on the north side of La Crosse and saw the movie. 

And fell in love. With Tom Cruise and, frankly, all the guys playing beach volleyball! Even got a free movie poster that hung in my dorm room all year!

Tom Cruise has since turned into a bit of whack job, but I didn't hold that against him when contemplating going to see Top Gun :: Maverick. I didn't hear any negative reviews from the dozens of people I know who saw it. 

And we concur. Both Jenny and I gave it two thumbs up. I was crying 10 minutes into it. Good mix of emotion, humor, and action. Loved it! 

So now instead of snakes, I can have sweat, er sweet dreams of beach "anything" with Kenny Loggins singing Playing with the Boys in my head! 

Roger that. I'm out! 

No comments: