Wednesday, June 22, 2022

What's Behind Door No. 3?

You'd be surprised what you can live without once you've lived without it for 2 years and haven't missed it.

Since the lovely pandemic hit while I was on vacation that first week in March 2020, I didn't realize my last day in the office before it was actually my last day... for 2-plus years. Therefore, I didn't take everything I needed from my desk, the little fridge in our department or my locker in our fitness center.

From my desk, I realized I only needed my computer and really didn't need paper documents. I haven't printed anything out in 2 years so there's no sense resuming that habit. You're welcome, Mother Earth. As for the fridge, someone disposed of what was left of my daily essential coffee creamer for me. Good call. As for the locker... well that went untouched until today.

Our fitness center finally reopened now that we're repopulating the office. I was a little nervous wondering what was behind door No. 3. Or in this case, door No. 168. I knew I'd have sneakers in there but hoped to god I didn't have some once-sweaty-now-crusty sports bra or socks. I was prepared for it...

And oh-so relieved when I only left the shoes in there – with deodorizer balls in them to boot – and the essentials like shower gel, deo, perfume, and hairspray! That turned my pew into a PHEW! And the shoes are in decent shape. I mean, we'll see when I put them on, but they should work OK after sitting around doing nothing all this time.

That's right. I did not work out. I just was checking the status of the locker so I could reserve it for another year. Don't judge me. Getting there was the first step, right?

I've already beat myself up plenty in the past week knowing that I had 800-some days to reinvent myself but instead, come back to the office out of shape – and out of clothes that fit nicely. Ugh.

If only I liked spinach or kale as much as I like ice cream! 

No comments: