Saturday, December 17, 2022

Almost Missed That One


This 100% sums up today's Vikings game. And the jaded fans in this house almost missed the historic moment.

Oh yes, it was on TV.  But when we trailed by an embarrassing 33-0 at halftime, hubby changed the channel to golf and I finished editing posting my JV basketball pictures from last night. Even my sister in Arizona texted me asking what was up and I said between the interceptions, fumble, penalties, and more, it was a Christmas stocking full of purple missteps. I might have thought a stronger word, believe me.

When I was done editing pictures, I checked the score on my phone and not only had we missed the 3rd quarter, but we missed some Viking scoring.

I went out to the living room and said, "Honey, we're trying to make a game of it." No response. So I said, "What channel is this on so I can watch in the basement?" He told me the channel and then added, "Sucker!"

I know, right? We are lifelong Vikings fans so we do have a long jaded history behind us. So many "so close" moments that weren't close enough.

But still, I didn't want to miss out in case, as I texted to Carter, "We pull off a miracle here."

We kept scoring and closing the gap and I kept pacing – you can check my FitBit – and yelling the score up the stairs in case Jim cared. It was unreal. They kept saying that if we won, it would be the largest comeback victory in NFL history. No pressure, guys.

And then it was OT and we found ourselves with little time on the clock and in a situation no Viking fan wants to see...


Needing to kick a field goal to win. It has actually happened in our favor this season a few times, but we can't forget moments when we really needed it – like NFC championship games, Gary Anderson and Blair Walsh! Uff da. Instant tears, headache, and teeth grinding. Today wasn't going to be season-ending if we lost or tied, but we had the opportunity on the line to clinch the North, which doesn't happen often and definitely not when there's a few weeks of the season let to play.

So we held our collective breaths across Purple People Land...


And it was good! A historic comeback! A division clinched! And there was much SKOL-ing and rejoicing! I think my heart rate will come down by Christmas. We couldn't have scripted this any better.

That was a way happier ending than the two Hallmark movies I watched to day. No offense, Hallmark. Believe me when I say that unlike my favorite NFL team, you've never let me down yet. 

Find your happy this holiday season. Keep believing!

No comments: