Wednesday, December 14, 2022

Ice Escape-ades

If you haven't figured out by now, this chick is not a fan of winter. At least not the driving part. Or walking on ice and feeling like I should have ice skates on. Even though I have no idea how to skate!

Yesterday was an OK drive to and from work. Last night I went back up to Stevens Point to shoot some hockey. It was parents night so I said I'd get pictures ahead of time and stay for one period. Figured that would get me back home before the freezing drizzle started.

Glad I was able to go. I got the pictures and more. As two of players were helping me back off the ice, one of them handed me a rose – like they gave to their moms – and assuming I had to deliver it outside the rink to someone, I asked, "Now who does this one go to?" 

They said: "You!"

Awwww. That was so sweet! And I got my team hat, too. And some time with Mr. Zamboni (the machine, not the driver, ha). Oh and they ended up winning 5-4!

I tell you, it's the little things in life that make me smile! And having a mostly rain versus icy drive home was great, too.

Before I had left work in the afternoon, they'd already started closing schools for today in anticipation of the ice. Our team planned to just work from home to stay safe. I planned to watch Hallmark movies from home.

Nope, not playing hooky. Realized I have PTO to use or lose this year and, gasp, it's already mid-December. What?! Anyway, I called into my 8 a.m. and 8:30 a.m. meetings and then had the rest of the day off. And yes, got 2-plus Hallmark movies watched plus got hubby to rehab (the ice was melting by early afternoon) and got to choir practice tonight. Figured we'd cut it short and get us all home to beat the next round of this winter storm.

Of course it's not over yet. This is Wisconsin. And it's almost winter. We can't escapade, er ESCAPE, it!

Although the ground is still bare here, we could get up to a foot of the heavy, wet, white stuff over night – here and at the office in Point – and they've already called off school everywhere near here.

So maybe tomorrow will be a work-from-home situation again (and I'll really have to work this time) or the frazzled forecasters could be wrong. 

I hope they're wrong. The power blinked off here early this morning. I can't imagine what more ice and heavy snow will do. My poor twin up north spent the day without power! Uff da.

Be smart. And be careful out there! 

No comments: