Sunday, January 22, 2023

Three Popped Meals a Day


It's not unusual for me to have popcorn for dinner. But breakfast... that's a new thing.

I rushed out of the house this morning so I could get to church to practice our choir song since I was out of town for practice this week. Then right after church, we had our annual meeting and my committee report was last on the agenda. The kept glancing at my phone clock because I needed to be home so my neighbor could pick me up at noon to go to a movie.

I got home at 11:55 a.m. and had time to use the restroom and then Cindy was there at noon. We got the theater and ordered the Robyn-sized popcorn bucket for my breakfast and lunch. And later, my dinner, too! No shame.

We have been looking forward to seeing A Man Called Otto for quite some time. Our book club actually read the original book – A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman – back in March 2017, giving it an average rating of 4.5 out of 5. Backman is a Swedish author so they did do a Swedish movie version of the book but it wasn't fun with the subtitles, so I didn't see it all. 

The Americanized version features a name change – Ove to Otto – and a stellar performance by Tom Hanks as the lead. The movie didn't follow the book exactly (they never do), but this time it was OK. They needed certain visuals to better tell the story. 

I think we both forgot how moving the book was. The movie had us tearing up and close to sobbing at points. Really well done. See it if you can. Both heart-warming and heart-wrenching.

Plus, you could come out of with at least 2 meals already popped, er planned.


No comments: