Wednesday, January 4, 2023

Tough Love


When I came across this a few minutes ago, it certainly hit close to home. Pardon me for being deeply honest and vulnerable here.

I read this and for the 8,000th time wonder how I can be 50+ years old and still haven't found a way to love myself – riotously, deeply, profoundly, or otherwise. 

Yes, it's sad. I also know I'm not the only one. And that's sad, too.

I can talk out one side of my mouth saying God loves us just the way we are, while the committee in my head is whispering in my other ear, "You failed. Again. You set out to lose weight and get in shape so you'd look great in your vacation pictures. And you couldn't stick with it. Again."

I admit I have two major downfalls. One, I place too much emphasis on weight as a measure of self-worth. And the second downfall is that I can't resist sweets! What a disastrous duo. It's like a never-ending hamster wheel I keep spinning and can't seem to jump off.

The struggle IS real. 

It's like I know I need to walk a mile but I forget that it takes 2,000 steps to get there. And I have to take them in order. No short cuts. The question is, what is at the end of that mile for me? Is it the ideal weight, perfect job, self-love, or something else?

I think if we like ourselves, work up to loving ourselves and finding the good inside, then other blessings will come with it. Am I ready? Are you ready?

Maybe this vacation is just what I need to clear my head so there's only room for one voice to take up residency. 

Let's fall in love and make this year the best one yet!


No comments: