Monday, May 1, 2023

Happy Labor Day


All this time I thought May 1st was all about flowers, baskets (and usually better than 40-degree temperatures) for May Day. And here it's Labour Day. Well for me... Labor Day. 

Yup, 25 years ago today I was in labor for 13 hours and even though things were slow-going, I told the doctor, "I want a May Day baby." Not that I cared about the date so much as wanting relief!

But it's an easy date to remember. I just can't believe this little T-ball playing boy is a 25-year-old man now!

Mommy and Daddy agree this is one of our favorite pictures of all time. He wore out this Nike cap and the one after that!

And still looks so darn cute wearing his hat backward! Yes, I am a bit biased.

Jim and I tried video calling him with a "Happy Birthday" at noon, figuring he was on his lunch break, but he didn't answer. Assuming the positive, I figured he was on a work call. But then he called us back a few minutes later. 

He had just gotten up.

He took the day off to recover from the weekend and relax.

Oh boy! That's our boy! Just smile and giggle. And realize we probably would've done the same thing when we were turning 25. Or just about any age in our 20s! 

He's in Wisconsin for a wedding this weekend so we're hoping he'll come up and see us tomorrow. The house smells like fresh-out-of-the-oven Hornet's Cake (his request) and we might just have to give him a 24-hour time limit before we cut that first piece.

OK. Maybe 25 hours. One for each amazing and blessed year he's filled our hearts.

Happy birthday, Carter Joe! You were worth every second of labor! 

No comments: