Wednesday, May 17, 2023

Long-Winded Women

Never underestimate the impact you can have. Somewhere 1,500 miles to the north of here wildfires rage in Alberta, Canada, not realizing they are giving us a dazzling sunset.

I mean they do have to give the wind credit for carrying the smoke on that lengthy (er, long-winded) trek. But still, those flames are just dancing up there and out of control, not realizing some goofy photographer in central Wisconsin appreciates their efforts.

And I would've totally missed it if I had stayed home this evening, surrounded by tall trees instead of having a long-winded night of my own.

Lucky me I had simultaneous girls' night out happening.

First our Face to Facebook Club met tonight since Saturday morning didn't work. Thanks, Applebee's, for that big corner booth that could seat 6 of us. 

Tonight we talked about The Wolf Den by Elodie Harper. What I love about our book club – besides these amazing page-turning girlfriends – is that we rotate who picks the book each month so we have quite a variety of books throughout the year. Would I have chosen to read about life in the brothels of Pompeii in A.D. 79? Probably not. But I gave it 4 out of 5 stars. Always an interesting mix!

From there, I scooted over to Ida's for my monthly Girls' Night Out crew. Since I ate at Applebee's, I just plopped down in a chair while they finished their Wing Night specials and the 6 of us chit-chatted for an hour. There again, another great group of girlfriends.

It was as I was pulling out of the parking lot that I noticed the colorful sun ball in the sky. And thought about the cause of it. 

And thought about how each of these women have impacted my life. Some here for a short time but most for that long journey, carrying support, love, and laughter my way like the breeze carrying that wildfire smoke. 

They probably don't realize that every time they overcame an obstacle like cancer or grief or wayward children, they inspired me to be as strong as them. They inspired me to more giving to others, too. When I'm doing OK, I can share my strength. When I'm on fire, let me brighten your day. When I'm stressed, laugh with me so we can all fake it 'til we make it. 

Thank you, God, for inventing girlfriends.


No comments: