Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Shakin' it Up

While I love my sisters dearly, nothing gives me quite the warm fuzzy feeling as coming home to my guys (even though they tried to torment me long-distance with their talk of slurping eggnog shakes without me!).

I knew they were up to some secret activities while I was gone but I didn't prod them for information. I figured as long as it didn't involve women dancing around poles, I had nothing to worry about.

On Saturday night, Carter indicated there was going to be a surprise when I got home. "This is something we'll have for life, Mom!" For life? I'm thinking, did they go out and get a dog or something? I doubted they would be so inconsiderate of our feline princess so I decided not to rack my brain too hard over it.

Of course, it did hover in the back of my mind and the moment I got home Sunday night I am glancing around seeing what was new or different. I noticed a lot of clutter was removed from the front of the fridge. Could that be it? Nothing else really jumped out at me so I figured I play it cool and they'd tell me in due time.

After supper, I started unpacking and then Carter caved under his self-imposed pressure and said he had to show me something. So I closed my eyes while he and Daddy led me me to his room. When I opened them, I saw that Carter's room was rearranged, there was a brand new desk in the corner and his room was clean!

Apparently they bought the desk the week before while I was off scrapbooking for the day, then hubby hid it under our bed until he could assemble it. Carter spent all of Saturday cleaning out his room (Jim claims he inherited his "organizational skills" from my side of the family) -- and eventually threw out a few garbage bags full of stuff. That's the reason he got treated to the eggnog shake Saturday night. It wasn't entirely a ploy to make me jealous. (At least I don't think so.)

I'm guessing his new homework desk is the thing that will be there "for life" and not the state of cleanliness in his room. Though it does prove we potentially can break the clutter curse. Yippee! A round of eggnog shakes for everyone!

No comments: