Sunday, November 30, 2008

Our Own Sweet Time

Feels like days since we've been home. Oh wait. It has been! Our time Up North was so action-packed, it just feels like enough to spread over many days instead of one or two.

Carter and I got up to my sister's Friday night in time to go to the movie Four Christmas with her and my niece. Movie was good. Quite entertaining. Ran into a couple of our cousins at the show. But then, it's always a small world Up North. (Interesting note about the theater. We had to put our own butter on the popcorn! I guess then we can't blame the counter girls if there isn't enough butter. We did send Carter out at "half-time" to reload.)

Saturday's Cookie Bake was a sweet time as always. Plenty of eating and talking and laughing and eating. Carter was a little disappointed he couldn't be the official taste-tester this year but most people weren't actually baking on Saturday. They did their treats up ahead of time so they could visit more and play more games.

We had four guests this year. My cousin LaRaye, who we don't see much and ran into Friday night at the movie; my nephew Tony's girlfriend, who was nervous about being thrown to the wolves, but likely learned we are more like hens than wolves; and two little boys, ages 4 and 6, who my niece was baby-sitting for the day. It was cool to have "little ones" about again. When did my baby grow up?!

The fun continued until almost 10 when people headed for home. I was glad I was staying at my sister's but did not sleep well either night. No fault of hers. I was sharing a bed with Carter and he is a wicked sleeper -- trying to kick and headbutt me all night. And when he wasn't doing that, he was talking in his sleep. How does he get any rest?

We headed home this morning. Stopped at my parents to drop off a wreath and then did our best to beat the snow and the Thanksgiving weekend traffic. Neither were too bad.

Got home in time to unpack (can't do laundry yet), do homework and watch the Vikings. Yes, I am a fan, but I am so beat I cannot stay up for the whole game. I'm just glad we're ahead and I can at least dream of a victory... or just dream, happily in my own bed again with the kicker across the hall...

No comments: