Monday, November 17, 2008

S*I*S*T*E*R*S

There's a special kind of freedom sisters enjoy.
Freedom to share innermost thoughts,
to ask a favor, to show their true feelings.

The freedom to simply be themselves.


I am back in one piece after another sisters weekend (aka Wild Women's Weekend) -- this time, quite the extended version (Wednesday to Sunday) down in the southern tip of Texas.

If you have a sister, are one or have friends who are your "sistahs," then you know about the special bond that comes with that label. It's quite a blessing, isn't it? Here are some highlights from our blessed SISTERS weekend.

S is for SEVEN: There are seven of us girls in our family, all starting with the letter R. While we all are grown women, 40 and older, each with family and job obligations of our own, we have made it a priority to leave that all behind for one weekend a year for the last 10. Our destinations vary but have remained within the Wisconsin and Minnesota borders -- until this year when 6 of us hopped on a plane in Minneapolis and headed south to our sister Rayna's place in Pharr, Texas.

I is for IDENTITY: Despite our mother's advice to not cause a scene, it was hard not to stand out when we boarded our flight wearing matching lime green T-shirts with our names on the front and a unique "6 North Stars heading to the Lone Star" design on the back. When we were airborne, the captain even gave a shout out to us: "A special welcome to 6 of the 7 R sisters." Of course, we did a special "Whoo-hoo!" Not so quiet but not exactly a ruckus, either. We did have several people coming up to us to meet us, request to be an "honorary sister" and even ask to get their picture taken with us! I can't make this stuff up! We were quite the phenomenon.

S is for SILLY: The best part of any sister weekend is the laughter. The laughing so hard we cry kind of laughter that comes from finding humor in the same things, picking on each other, playing games, having the same reaction to something. Just good, clean silly fun. Who says we don't put the fun in dys-fun-ctional?

T is for TEXAS: Make that Texas Tourists. Rayna rented a minivan so she could cart us around to all the hot spots I've enjoyed on my two previous visits down there. We danced at Pepe's open-air saloon on the Rio Grande River. We sunned on South Padre Island. We shopped in Mexico. We also ate a lot. Everything is big in Texas -- including the portions!

E is for ENTERTAINMENT: Our last order of business on the flight was to write a song to sing to Rayna when we got to Texas. A quick group effort and we were ready to perform while riding the escalator to greet her and her husband Paul (who disappeared to other parts of Texas during our stay). So yes, we sang it on the ride down the steps. Did I mention nothing embarrasses us? I guess that isn't always a bad thing. Someone at baggage claim did ask us if we were a singing group! Later, at Rayna's place, we had our "opening act," traditionally performed by my twin Raylene and me, but with a special guest appearance this year by our gracious southern hostess! All of us will be singing ABBA's Dancing Queen for weeks to come (but hopefully not dreaming about our psychedelic costumes!).

R is for R PEOPLE: My niece Ashley calls us girls and my brother Ron the "R People." We had some fun with that on this trip, giving a cheer if our waiters' names started with R or "giving" people an R name if they didn't have one. (Did I mention nothing embarrasses us? We were in prime form.) As my sister Rayna reminded us at the end of our stay, the letter R also can stand for Relax, Restore, Reconnect, Renew, Refresh, Rejuvenate. It sounds so good, I wonder why I came back to wintry Wisconsin!

S is for SPECIAL: Spending time with my sisters -- or any of my family for that matter -- is so special to me. I love them all! And you know what? They know me and they still love me, too! My favorite magnet on my refrigerator says it all: I'm smiling because you're my sister. I'm laughing because there's nothing you can do about it! That about sums it up.