Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanks-Living

The fact that I am writing this is good thing. It means I didn't burn the house down making Thanksgiving dinner. And I ate my perfectly moist turkey and lived to tell about it. Whoo-hoo! So much to be thankful for!

Seriously, I do have a lot to be thankful for -- and not just today. In general, I do try to live by a philosophy of gratitude. Thanks-Living. We are given blessings every day that we shouldn't take for granted. And I thank God for them every night.

Occasionally, though, I have a momentary lapse of gratitude. Like the other day. Yes, I was cranky when I was seeing dollar signs attached to all sorts of "problems." I shouldn't have said anything out loud because Carter heard me. Tonight, when I was tucking him in, he let out a big sigh and said we had such a crappy life right now between the knee surgery, the car getting fixed, the computer on its last legs, the washing machine dying.

I told him, "Who cares? Those are just things. I was wrong to get so upset the other night. Things don't matter. People matter. I'd rather pay money for all those things than have you or Daddy sick with some serious illness. We need to be thankful for our family and friends."

He thought that was a pretty good idea. Though he's still not too thrilled with fighting the Black Friday shoppers with me in the morning just to buy a washing machine. I guess I can't find gratitude in everything! But I'm trying.

No comments: