Saturday, November 1, 2008

Wisconsin Whistlestop Tour

We sort of felt like political candidates zipping through (and past) dozens of towns and cities in Wisconsin today on our way to and from Luck to visit my parents. Of course, the only "whistle stops" were the places that had restrooms and fuel when we needed them!

We don't often do the trip up and back in the same day -- that's 8 hours round trip -- but this is when we could squeeze it in so we just did it. My dad turned 81 last week and we couldn't get up there for his birthday. When I realized I hadn't seen my parents since my birthday extravaganza, I figured a visit was way past due.

As my dad pointed out, it is nice to have a one-on-one visit so we can actually visit. Typically, our family gatherings bring in about 20-35 people. I usually go home and comment on the fact I didn't even get to talk to my parents, or this sibling or that sibling. It was nice.

We were pleased to see they were both in good health and in good spirits. They are still high on getting published in the newspaper. I brought with some of my recently published columns for their "reading pleasure," too.

As a bonus, I got to see my twin sister, who I haven't seen since our big 4-0. She's holding up well for her age (tee, hee). We had to put our heads together for our top-secret entertainment for the upcoming Wild Women's Weekend. That's all I can say about that since I have sisters who read this.

We headed back home when it was still light out and pulled in the driveway around 9. The nice thing was that we got to set the clocks back like it was just a 3-hour drive! Right. Still feels like bedtime to me! I don't know how the real candidates do it.

No comments: