Monday, December 1, 2008

Music to My Ears

I've been secretly listening to Christmas music for weeks but now that it is December 1, apparently it's "legal" for me to go public. There have been a few radio stations playing it already but today was the first time it aired on our Muzak system at work. That's usually a sign we can officially acknowledge it!

I just love Christmas music. It started when I was a kid and we'd listen to Christmas records on the old phonograph. Over and over we'd play them until we knew the order of songs on every one, plus which ones had scratches and skipped and needed a needle nudging to keep going. Good times.

I still love the "oldies" but do enjoy some of the new renditions and have been a fan forever of Mannheim Steamroller. Carter likes the holiday music, too. He enjoys singing along to the Muppets version of the 12 Days of Christmas and doing all the character voices. (Imagine that.) This year on the way Up North, we only listened to that particular CD once. Last year, I think it was 5 or 6 times. I'm OK with the change.

He also likes that silly song Grandma Got Ran Over by a Reindeer. Yes, it's a catchy tune but I think we'd be wise not to perform that one for our family Christmas program. Something tells me someone would not find it amusing. Now bring out the Bing and we're in good standing! Gotta love it.

Well, you don't gotta. But I plan to! Fa-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la....

No comments: