Saturday, December 13, 2008

Happy St. Lucia Day!

Hurray, it's St. Lucia Day! St. Who? I realize for most people, if they observe any "extra" holiday, it's St. Nick's Day. But when Carter was young, I decided we should do something to reflect his Scandinavian heritage instead. So we celebrate St. Lucia each Dec. 13th.

Now tradition goes that the oldest girl in the house should wear candles on her head (Lucia was the "light" saint) and serve the rest of the household breakfast in bed. Being the only girl in the house, I elected to bypass that this year (well, I have every year so far).

But we did check our stockings and we each received a chocolate treat and a Christmas movie of some sort to get us in the holiday spirit. Carter got Deck the Halls, Daddy got the Best of Saturday Night Live Christmas Skits and I finally got White Christmas. For some reason, we ended up watching the Christmas Story movie instead, but I'm sure we'll get to the other ones.

We decided that since today was a holiday we should treat it like one and have some fun. It was quite mild out so I went for a walk (fun for me) and Carter spent quite a bit of time outdoors building a snow tower of some sort. Then we stayed inside, drank hot chocolate and we all played Yatzee and Sorry and 3 to 13.

I seem to recall that I won all the games but really, who pays attention? It's not competitive. (ha) I'm just grateful to St. Lucia for giving us a holiday -- and a worthy excuse to spend quality time with the lights of my life.

No comments: