Wednesday, December 31, 2008

2008 :: Year in Review

After my white-knuckled drive in a snowstorm last night (it took me an hour and a half to get home), I thought, do we really need another 6 inches of snow? I mean that's half a foot! I heard on the news today about record December snowfalls all around us. I guess it's good to end the year on top (of a snow bank, that is).

I seriously cannot believe 2008 is drawing to a close already. We always say time flies, but it really does, doesn't it? I look back and say life is not so different than it was a year ago at this time, but it is. We have more experiences, we have learned more lessons, we are older (groan) and we have even more blessings!

Here are a few takeaways from 2008:

Young at Heart: It's true when they say age is what you make of it. I had the attitude that I was going to embrace 40 -- and I did, with quite the birthday extravaganza, I might add.

Flight Preparations: My oldest stepson, a senior in high school, is readying himself for college. This is going to be a tough spring as we see him get ready to leave the nest (even though he only occupies it part time). Next year at this time we can wear one of those "I'm a college parent" sweatshirts. Yikes. Maybe not.

Out of Control: Speaking of teenagers, we have had a trying year trying to get the middle son to change his attitude about school -- or at least attend more often. We are realizing quickly that we can't change anyone or control their thinking in any way. But we are not giving up. No one said parenting is easy. No one said it could be this hard either, but we wouldn't have it any other way (well, maybe a few changes).

Fore! I had this sinking feeling I was the world's worst golfer but now I know it was just the clubs I was using. (Now I'm just in the bottom 5%.) I had a wonderful time this spring and summer breaking in my new clubs from Santa last year. Actually got to golf with hubby and some friends (and even Carter) more than the last two years combined. Still not enough, but we can build from there in 2009.

Career Builder: It seems my job at work keeps evolving. For the last few years (since my dream job shipped out) I have not been allowed to land in a comfort zone for long before my responsibilities change and I find myself working with a new group of people and/or on different magazines. I'm getting pretty good at adapting to change but I am hoping 2009 will bring a bit more stability. Yep, I know that's asking a lot in these times. Maybe I better just get working on that best-seller of mine. (By the way, Jim says his New Year's resolution is to win the Powerball. That would help, too!)

Frequent Flyer: While my travel for work was limited this year, it was the quality (meeting Ponch), not the quantity, right? I did enjoy my personal travel -- two trips to Texas this year -- and am so glad Jim got to go on his family tree quest out East. Jim still will have plenty of work trips in 2009, but I have a feeling our personal ventures will be sticking a little closer to home.

Growing Up: We were warned about this. Our little baby is growing up -- and fast! Carter just continues to amaze us and, sometimes, it's kind of scary to see what we created! Nothing like looking in the old fun-house mirror of dysfunction now and then! It's not too late to get the quirks out, is it? My biggest challenge as a mom was allowing our 10-year-old some independence this year. It seems so logical that the more independent he becomes, the less dependent he is, but that doesn't make it hurt my heart any less knowing that he doesn't need us as much. I don't see that improving in 2009 or any year. But I wouldn't trade that for anything in the world, not even a winning Powerball ticket.

I hope each of you take some time to identify the blessings bestowed on you in 2008. Granted, it was a tough year for a lot of people. But, if you are reading this, that means you are still here, right? That's a good sign. Why not start with that and move forward...

Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Christine said...

Robyn & Jim - We are so blessed to have formed a friendship with you in 2008. We look forward to many more good times in 2009!

Christine & Mike