Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Let it Snow

Carter was pretty convinced last night when he went to bed that we were going to have a Snow Day today. I mean the conditions were ripe for it. We were in a winter storm warning with 6-12 inches expected here during the night and the day. Plus, for the first time in my history at my workplace, we had plans in place to shut down -- if needed. Sounds like a Snow Day is a comin'.

So the snow fell silently while we slept and I was up before my alarm even, checking the TV and Web sites. Nothing up yet. I had to wait until 6 a.m. So I went back to bed and kept getting out to check the TV. Suddenly all the listings were there. Oh, Iola-Scandinavia is closed. (That's where we work.) Looking optimistic here. We're the in the W's now... Waupaca... Waushara... Wild Rose... Wittenberg... What? They skipped over Wisconsin Rapids?

No Snow Day for us! So I fire up the snowblower at 6:15 and blow the 4+ inches we already had and got ready for work, running about an hour behind schedule. But then, we weren't the only ones. Thankfully I have my chauffeur back because not everything was plowed very well. (Also thankfully I made Carter do his homework last night.) When the sun came out at noon and it looked like the snow ended 6 hours earlier than predicted, I conceded that the school district made the right call.

Hubby commented on the way home that the reason adults are mad that there wasn't a snow day is because they don't want to go to work. Ya think? The worst part about a borderline snow day is that after we adults freeze our butts off snowblowing and shoveling in the pre-dawn darkness, we still have to go to work and give 'em an honest 8!

At least the kids get recess...

No comments: