Sunday, December 7, 2008

W-I-N (for 5 points)

You know the old adage, "It doesn't matter how you play the game as long as you win"? Oh wait, that's not it. But I can see how it would work in some circumstances.

Today, for example, our Vikings were pitiful against the winless Lions. So pitiful, in fact, we almost gave them their first "W" this afternoon. Almost, but not quite. So we'll take one in the win column and remain on top of our division (dismal all around this year) but certainly won't be bragging about it.

You'd be proud of me, I didn't even call my dad to rub it in that the Vikes had a win while the Pack was handed another loss. See, I told you this wasn't worth the boast. Plus, I'd end up talking to my mother (a fellow lover of English, spelling and all that is grammar) and have to admit to her I can't seem to beat her youngest grandchild in Scrabble.

Now last night, I helped him quite a bit, so he beat me by quite a bit. No surprise he wanted to play again tonight after supper. Of course, I'm happy he wants to play a game where he can "work" on English, but I said I wasn't going to help him this time.

Well I did help him just a little bit and then he won, again, by just a little bit. He had all the good letters! (whine, whine) I have this feeling that if I didn't help him at all, the best I'd do is tie him.

I guess when the real adage says, "It doesn't matter if you win or lose, it's how you play the game," they're referring to having fun, bonding with your child and figuring out how to make a word with a Q and a J.

No comments: