Thursday, December 18, 2008

The Perfect Gift

There's always a certain pressure this time of year to find the perfect gift for people.

If we let it, the quest can drive us crazy. Oftentimes we end up giving up in frustration or we've run out of time -- so we grab the next best thing and sometimes that is what the person wanted all along.

Contrary to his practice in previous year of making lists 5 feet long, Carter didn't make a list this year. At first I was relieved. No choices. I can get the one thing I know he wants and the rest is a bonus. What I didn't consider is the handful of other people who normally buy him a gift. Without a list, it falls on my shoulders to come up with some other "perfect gifts." Judging from his reaction to a special purple-and-yellow themed gift he received in the mail today, I think he'll be pleased with all of his gifts -- whether they were on his list or not.

I'm pretty much the same way. I don't expect any gifts so I love every one I get! I received a few today from some of my employees. Apparently I have been letting my stress show through because I got a pen with the Serenity Prayer imprinted on it and a plaque that reads: "Some days it's not worth chewing through the restraints."

Perfect, wouldn't you say?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So glad that he liked it. Even though the givers are Packer fans. This year we are just following the Vikings normal train of thought, "you can't win all of them."