Thursday, December 11, 2008

Domestic Goddess?

A funny thing happened last night. When I wasn't looking, my status as an undomestic goddess changed to domestic. At least temporarily. True story.

Last week, I was racking my brain trying to think of what little gifts I could get my employees. Nothing jumped out at me -- certainly not one item that all 8 of them would enjoy equally. Then, this weekend, I thought, "Why don't I make them something? As in bake them something?"

I may not be much in the kitchen when it comes to cooking but I love to bake. In fact, I always get comments on my banana bread (a special recipe from my childhood BFF Julie), so I decided that would be my gift (wrapped up with some other tasty and possibly minty treats). I bought the little disposable aluminum foil loaf pans. In fact I bought 20 of them because I didn't know how many I could make with one batch of batter and didn't know if hubby wanted me to make them for his peeps as well.

So last night, knowing it was going to be the one night home this week, I grabbed the old flowered apron off its peg and got to work. First batch ended up filling only 5 loaf pans. Not enough. Hubby says, "Five loaves? Hey I know that story!" I said, "Right. Wouldn't that be something if I put these 5 loaves in the oven with 2 fish and they multiplied?" Oh yes, that would be nice. But not gonna happen. So while one batch was in the oven, I mixed up another.

About an hour later, my sister from Texas called. I told her I had just pulled the 10th loaf of banana bread out of the oven (I had to make it sound like I was slaving all day at this). She said, "What's happening to you? Ever since you turned 40, you've gotten all domestic!"

Well not quite. One night does not a domestic goddess make. But the gifts were appreciated today.

Not to ruin my reputation, I'll just tell people that instead of getting visited by the ghost of Christmas Future, it was the ghost of Martha Stewart. Boo!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome! I get alot of mileage out of that recipe too. Good idea to give to the people in your office. I might steal that idea. Do you remember the time in home ec when one of our male classmates thought that when the recipe called for two eggs that he should put the whole eggs, shells and all in the bowl? That still makes me smile to this day! Your BFF Jules

Anonymous said...

so are you two gonna share the recipe????? Raylene

Robyn Austin said...

Sure we can share the recipe -- for a price! Actually, the "secret" ingredient that makes it taste so good is the chocolate chips. I use a combination of chocolate chips and peanut butter chips. Sounds weird with banana bread, but it's awesome! I can email the recipe to anyone who wants it!

Anonymous said...

I stole your idea about the mini loaves, but took it to the extreme and made 30 mini loaves for all those teachers, mailmen, and other people we want to give a little something to, but can afford to do too much. I'm tired now! Jules