Thursday, April 2, 2009

A.D.D.

A few years back (OK, something like 12), I did an award-winning (had to throw that in there) newspaper series on Attention Deficit Disorder (commonly referred to as ADD or ADHD). So I know it is a serious matter and nothing to joke about. Still...

I swear I have ADD! This work project is making me stir crazy. Yes, it is more productive for me to be sequestered away in a corner of the library to work on this without any distractions. But, I'm finding that I need those distractions to function! Or I create my own (like blogging in the middle of my project).

I don't know how people who work in factories do it. The repetition would kill me. Right now this project is a lot about labeling pieces of data and hitting "save." I am already dreaming about this -- when I stop coughing during the night long enough to sleep and dream, that is.

I feel like I've worn a groove in this thankfully-padded bench over the past few days working here! But I also know that as soon as I am back in the office tomorrow, I'll be too distracted and I'll be complaining that I'm getting nothing done! So maybe I don't have ADD. Maybe I am just one of those people who always need something to complain about. Nahh. Not me!

There's a new distraction today. I purposely have my back to the windows but I can tell the sun is shining. I think I liked it better the last few days when it was raining. Then everyone was happy to be in the nice dry library!

OK, done whining now. I better get back to data land and stay focused. I can already see my next distraction taking the form of a Mint Oreo Blizzard! Hey, DQ is only a half block away. I could dash over and back and not lose my spot. I can't make any guarantees about not losing my motivation, though.

Yikes. Good thing I know there's medication for this! That is, if ice cream doesn't work first...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.