Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Tax Day

I shall never use profanity except in discussing house rent and taxes. -- Mark Twain

If you make any money, the government shoves you in the creek once a year with it in your pockets, and all that don't get wet you can keep. -- Will Rogers

In this world nothing can be said to be certain but death and taxes. -- Benjamin Franklin

Since today is the deadline for filing income taxes -- or Tax Day -- I thought I'd look up a few quotes about taxes. Pretty entertaining. From the looks of it, we've been complaining about them for hundreds of years. And they're still here!

We did get a refund from the state this year, which has already been received and spent, and had to pay into federal. In typical taxpayer fashion, we got the refund as quickly as possible and held off as long as possible paying in. I mailed that yesterday, the 14th, just to be safe.

So today really wasn't any different than any other day, except for a few things...

One, we have a lot more windows open -- plus the front door -- because temps reached 60! Tomorrow is supposed to be even nicer!

Hubby took advantage of the nice weather and raked some leaves and crap (for lack of a better word) up in the back yard. He's burning them now. I love that smell! I should say Carter helped, too, until the neighbor girl flashed her dimples and took him away from the drudgery of manual labor! I was busy pricing the last of my garage sale stuff and folding laundry, so I have an honest free pass.

Secondly, we have a better understanding of the alternative high school stepson #2 is attending. There was an open house and teacher conferences this afternoon (postponed from last week). It was interesting. I'm trying to stay focused on the positive. He's well-liked, his grades are pretty good and he's got potential.

There are some issues that need to be addressed and they will be. It's just frustrating that some things never change. But then, just like our tax refund, we cashed our reality check on this subject a long time ago.

I just hope the struggles we've had to do what's best for this kid won't always be as certain as death and taxes!

No comments: