Saturday, August 8, 2009

Feels Like August

Mother Nature put on quite the sound and light show last night. In fact, it was loud enough and bright enough all of us were awakened (and kept awake) from 2 a.m. until 3:30 or so. No hail or wind damage, thankfully, but we got about 3 inches of rain. Crazy.

The rain storm also brought with it some summer warmth. Now it feels like the hot August days we are somewhat accustomed to. It was in the mid-80s and humid today so we made the decision early on to close up the house and turn on the air (for only the second time this summer).

Carter and I did manage to get out for a walk this morning. He mentioned I haven't taken any pictures of him since he got his glasses. Hello, that was months ago. So I reminded him about baseball and graduation parties and the one above, where he is sporting some "good luck" bling at the races last Saturday.
While out walking, we also stopped in at a garage sale down the road. Of course, we didn't have any money with us! When we got home -- all hot -- we vowed we weren't aiming to do anything too strenous for the rest of the day. It's not the heat, ya know. It's the humidity. So we ran some errands in town, which included picking up a movie, dropping off cardboard at recycling and, most importantly on a hot day, stopping at Dairy Treat for a small Blue Moon twist cone.

I did sit out on the deck and read for a little while after we got home. Have to get some sun! To cool off, I sat it the basement with Carter and watched the Race to Witch Mountain movie. This was a 2009 remake of the '70s movie Carter and I rented a few weeks back. He liked this one, too. Obviously, they can do much more believable special effects these days. That helps!

It was raining off and on in Marshfield so the races were cancelled again. So we were in for the night. After supper, I whipped together some banana bread and then we all shook dice, playing "Bust-ola." I believe I won both games. (No wonder no one's talking to me.)

Tomorrow is supposed to be another hot one -- like 90s. So I may just make my way down to my Scrap Cave and get something done. Of course, I'll have to spend some time outside. If I don't get hot, I won't deserve any ice cream!

No comments: