Friday, August 28, 2009

TGFF (Thank God For Friends)

In keeping with true Austin fashion, we once again crammed as much as we could into a 40-hour out-of-town mini-vacation. And, once again, it's good to be home!

The Reds-Brewers game was great. For hubby anyway. It's really strange being at a game and not really caring or minding who wins. In the end, it worked out just fine. Jim's Reds won yesterday and tonight, when our friends went to the game again, the Brewers won. (My Twins won tonight, too, so everybody wins!)

Mike and Christine kept Carter with them so he got to go to the game tonight, too. During both games, he was within about 4 seats from a foul ball. That's kind of cool. He had has his glove ready for anything. Maybe next time.

After the game yesterday, we went out to eat and then back to the hotel to relax in the pool and hot tub. It was bedtime before we knew it. As usual, I didn't sleep well in a hotel (pillows are always too fat for me). When I did doze off good this morning, I felt a tap on my shoulder from the other person who doesn't sleep well -- and wanted to go back to the pool, I'm sure.

We grabbed breakfast at a restaurant not far from the hotel. But even before that, I got an email from an old college friend who lives in Milwaukee, knew I was in town and just happened to have the day off. We arranged to meet up at the mall a few minutes from the hotel. I hadn't seen Carrie in at least 15 years, maybe 17, so this was a totally awesome unexpected perk to this trip! We had just a short visit, but it was waaaaaay cool!

After Jim and I checked out of the hotel, the Jackson 3 and Austin 3 headed to downtown Milwaukee to hang out for awhile at a local establishment called the Brat House. Neat place. Then we hit the road to head for home. I wish we knew Milwaukee better because we got a little mixed up and did not quite take a direct route home! Oh well, at least we made it eventually -- and safely.

Despite a quick rain storm in the late afternoon, races were still on at Golden Sands, so we headed over there in the early evening -- bundled up again in a turtle neck, sweatshirt and jacket. (Yes, hot chocolate was the drink of choice again, too. I know. It's not right!)

Colin was still behind by 19 points at the start of the evening. Things didn't go well in the heat race but he managed to stay ahead of the points leader during the feature to finish second. Now he is 17 points behind with just one more race next Friday at Golden Sands. (His last race in Marshfield will be next Saturday.)

Since we were childless for the night, hubby and I decided to extend our date and check out the action downtown. Not much happening really so we did make it home before turning into pumpkins at midnight.

I don't think we're getting old. I think we are just tuckered out from another "relaxing" vacation!

No comments: