Sunday, August 2, 2009

Remember the Sabbath...

I slept in today -- but I sure had to work at it. My silly body awakened at 6 a.m. like it's a work day and I had to force myself to relax and fall back asleep, bound and determined to get 8 hours of sleep after our late night of racing.

I was up by 8 but made a conscious (albeit sacrilegious) decision at that point that I was not going to shake tail to make it to church on time. I didn't shake tail and go running either. Instead, I headed into town, searching for salvation at Wal-Mart.

What I found there, as usual, were falling prices and fellow fallen angels (also skipping church?). I also crossed paths with a wonderful woman -- the widow of my old copy editor Bob who was quite the mentor to me. It was good to see her again. She's doing well and quite accustomed to living on her own. I'm sure Bob is watching over her -- and me, too, probably cringing on those rare occasions I forget to spell-check my blog!

When I got home, we made a quick unanimous decision to head down to Adams again and watch Madison play. We had our start time mixed up so we missed a good chunk of the game when Madison's team came from a 2-0 deficit to tie it and eventually force it into extra innings. We saw all that excitement. You can't help but jump right in and cheer (hope) with the rest of the fans. A whole lotta screaming going on. At one point, Carter and I both had goose bumps. Definitely worth the trip down. And Madison's team did win, 6-4, so they were headed to the championship game later.

Carter got such a high from the intensity that he actually wanted to stay. Since our neighbors didn't mind, we let him stay on with them. Jim wanted to get back and go to some Legion games in Rapids. And I knew I had to get the lawn mowed. It's tough wearing the title as the only able-bodied adult in the house!

I really don't mind mowing. I got 2 hours of sunshine and exercise. My main concern was seeing a snake again. Talk about intensity and nerves! But thankfully nothing today.

Since I had the house to myself for awhile, I sat down and watched a movie, The Secret Life of Bees, based on a book I read last summer. I knew it was one of those movies the guys would not get into. I enjoyed both the book and the movie.

After that, I had to put my domestic goddess tiara on awhile. Made a caramel apple salad to go with supper and made a dirt cake for someone's birthday at work tomorrow. When I had my men back home, I grilled some burgers and we had a pretty tasty meal.

Now my apron's off. So are my shoes. I am remembering that we are supposed to remember the Sabbath and keep it holy. But also use Sunday (occasionally) as a day of rest. Hopefully, I can do a better job applying both of those next week.

In the meantime, this is your favorite heathen signing off...

No comments: