Friday, August 7, 2009

Happy Hour(s)

Our initial plans for this evening were to meet up with friends for dinner in the late afternoon then head to the races. But then it started raining at noon. And hasn't stopped.

So no races tonight. But we still met up for a Friday night fish fry and then proceeded to bar hop (is that still the phrase?) for "dessert" -- despite the fact my girlfriend had a killer headache and we had the sixth-grader with us.

Had a wonderful time as always with our friends, but there are several reasons why this is no longer "my scene":

1) I don't drink any more so things really don't get funnier the longer we're out.

2) I swear these kids aren't old enough to drive, let alone bar tend or patronize a saloon.

3) I've come to cherish my smoke-free environment. (I just took a shower because I refuse to lay smoky hair on my pillowcase.)

4) There's something wrong with shooting pool in a bar with an 11-year-old at 9 p.m. on Friday night. (Of course Carter said, "I had fun tonight.")

5) I looked down the bar and saw hubby playing "air piano" to Mr. Breeze. (Refer back to #1.)

6) It's past my bedtime.

OK, that last one really makes me look pathetic! But, I admit, it's the truth. The only reason I stopped to blog and didn't head straight to bed is because I'm waiting for the blankets to warm up.

Then it's my happy hour.

1 comment:

Rayna Delaney said...

I'm almost embarrassed to say that I had a good time tonight. I even did a laugh-til-you-cry dance imitation (stupid) of one of our co-workers. For all of us a couple of drinks made it funnier... just like Jim's air piano, huh? Oh, well, when you're old like me... a stupid Friday night is a blessing, not a curse!