Thursday, August 13, 2009

The Spirit of Competition

I've learned in life there are times it's best not to keep score. Keeping tabs on how many arguments you've won with your spouse -- not a good idea (I'd be dealing with small numbers anyway). Counting strokes in a golf game -- humbling, yet required. Or so we used to think...

I had decided earlier in the week that since Jim (still on the DL) had Wednesday off to meet up with some old friends, I would take Carter golfing after work. After all, our backs are in working order at the moment (and I know better than to take it more than one day at a time with my back).

Since Carter and I have golfed only 5 times between the two of us this summer, I decided perhaps it would best to focus more on the enjoyment of golf rather than the score card. And, yes, I realize there are people who do get enjoyment out of their score card. That's just not us -- yet.

So I proposed we play like we are partners in a tournament. The first 3 holes we played Best Ball (or Better Ball for 2 of us), which means we both played out the holes but wrote the better score on the card. The next 3 holes we did Scramble style, picking the better shot and both playing a ball from there until we sunk our putt. The final 3 were alternate shot. Just like it says, if Carter teed off, I'd shoot the next shot (no matter where it landed), then he'd hit after me (no matter where my shot landed).

We both had some good shots and some non-tournament worthy ones, too, which meant we obviously wouldn't have won any competition. But we certainly had a blast!

And, to top it off, a little shop in Iola was serving eggnog gelato yesterday so we got a post-golfing treat. Yay, team!

No comments: