Thursday, August 6, 2009

Wash Day

When I was a girl, long before I could fathom what it's like to be 40, I'd get a kick of that commercial where the woman would dance around with shampoo in her hair, singing, "I'm gonna wash that gray right outta my hair..." I didn't understand then why she'd be so happy just to restore her hair to its natural color. Now I get it.

This morning, I took a little break from work to visit my "hair artist." I had her wash away those pesky gray hairs and, when she was done with her magic, I felt like a new woman!

Do we hold that much stock in our hair color? No. It goes much deeper than that. Washing away our gray is like a special cleansing. We are ridding ourselves of something that symbolizes age or stress or perhaps both. When it's gone, we feel restored and ready for anything.

I think the original lyrics to the song were something about washing a man out of our hair. Today I don't feel the need to do that. But there are other things, other problems, other stressors, I wouldn't mind washing away.

There's no shampoo out there that can do that for me. But I find a good conversation with a friend or loved one can be just as cleansing. Sure, it helps to talk to God, too, but saying things out loud sometimes is more effective at releasing the hold they have over you. Like an extra rinse cycle!

Why not declare today your Wash Day. What would you like to wash away? What do you need to wash away?

I can point you to a laundromat that's open 24/7.

1 comment:

Brent Frankenhoff said...

Yep, it was "wash that man right out of my hair." It's from South Pacific.

Brent