Thursday, September 3, 2009

Anticipation

There was a Heinz Ketchup commercial on TV when I was a kid (around the late 1970s or 1980) featuring the Carly Simon hit Anticipation. "It's making me late! It's making me wait..."

I thought it was a clever commercial then but now it just calls attention to how impatient I am. But, just like when I was a kid, there are somethings that are worth the wait!

Today I got an email from one of my sisters reminding us other sisters that it's just TWO WEEKS until our annual Wild Women's Weekend!! This year we're trekking up to Park Rapids, Minn., near the Mississippi headwaters. Apparently a gorgeous area to be made more beautiful by the 7 Hedberg girls. (Ha, ha.) I am really anticipating our 11th annual getaway, which always proves to be fun, relaxing and uniquely entertaining.

With the racing season drawing to a close this weekend, we have been anticipating the start of fall sports -- mainly football (both high school and NFL). It was such a pleasant evening we went to our first high school game of the season tonight. Jim's alma mater, the Assumption Royals, were hosting Augusta -- and soundly beating them. I ended up sitting between two Austins -- Jim's dad and uncle Joe -- for half the game. They made good conversation and good "heaters." We left at the end of the third quarter since we had such a huge lead and it is a school night after all. Gotta get to bed (all of us) at a reasonable hour.

I know a few people losing sleep tonight, though. My nephew Tim is about to become a daddy for the first time. And my sister RoAnn is awaiting word from their maternity ward out in South Dakota to find out if she's a grandma! How exciting for everyone! They know what that anticipation is all about. Right now we're just praying for a healthy delivery for both baby and momma. When we receive the good word, the Austin clan will be happy to welcome the newest Viking fan into the world! (And no, his name will not be Brett!)

OK, my blanket's warmed up. I'm anticipating sweet dreams tonight...

No comments: