Monday, September 7, 2009

Undomestic Goddess :: Part 37

I remember one time watching someone struggle to write a paragraph promoting some event of theirs. I thought to myself -- not in a cocky way -- that a person is either a writer or they're not. They can't force it if the natural talent isn't there.

I'd have to say the same about culinary skills. Sure you can be schooled in both, but it's not quite the same as innate ability.

In so many ways, I have admitted to being an undomestic goddess. I guess I was hoping it was a temporary ailment. I thought perhaps now that I'm in my 40s, I'd suddenly develop this knack in the kitchen.

Still waiting.

I envy my mother (and many sisters and friends) who can just look in their cupboards, fridge and freezer, pull out a few items and TA-DA! Magically whip together dinner. I just can't "whip" things together. I have a few meals I know how to make, but the rest are tasty, costly, convenient concoctions (found in boxes or your freezer aisle).

I found something cool at the craft fair I went to on Saturday. It is a Magic Potato Bag! The creator, seller, marketer lady said a person can't go wrong with this. A person other than an undomestic goddess, that is. You just put your 3-4 medium potatoes (individually wrapped in dry paper towel) in the cloth bag and nuke for 8-10 minutes. I was mostly excited that I could by one with pretty purple Vikings material (only 100% cotton, said seller). I know hubby likes baked potatoes, so I figured it would be a treat for all.

I was all excited. I had the fixings on the table -- sour cream, shredded cheese, butter, bacon bits. I was ready to present "loaded potatoes."

So where did I go wrong? If I knew anything about anything, I would have realized my honkin' potatoes did not fall into the "medium" category. They were large and therefore, (in hind sight) Better Crocker logic tells me, take longer. Oh.

Well I did the "falling off the fork" check. (Yes, I do know 1 or 2 things). So I thought they were done and served them up with the Shake 'n Bake pork chops for supper and that's when I heard it. There should not be grunting and groaning and struggling when a person is trying to cut into their tater.

So I had to reheat each plate individually and it wasn't quite the family meal together I'd planned. The good thing about being 40 is that even though I am not any more skilled, I am a bit wiser and can retain a few bits and pieces of useful information here and there. Next time, I'll be paying attention to the size of the spud. In the meantime, I am going to drown my sorrows in some mint chocolate chip ice cream.

I know how to serve that up just right!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain. I just can't whip something together. Yesterday when Mom and Dad were up for lunch, Steve bought corn-on-the-cob. I have made it before, with Betty's guidance. So, I had to pull out the cookbook to remember how to do it just right. Don't add salt to your water, it makes the corn tough. Add sugar instead. It did turn out. Thanks to Betty.

Anonymous said...

Don't worry - it will come. As I get older, I experiment and "whip things up" more and more. It's really quite fun, although I have trouble duplicating exactly if someone wants me to make it again!