Friday, September 4, 2009

Nephews' Day

I know it didn't say National Nephews' Day on the calendar but they were at the center of my thoughts today!

Naturally, I am praying with pride each and every day for my nephew Tony, serving over in Iraq. He is never far from my thoughts these days as I sense his impatience to leave "God's litter box" and come home. We are all just as anxious!

I am also anxious to meet the newest member of our family -- the first baby since Carter. The world welcomed in a healthy Tyler Evan last night. Now I have my second great-nephew, my nephew Tim is a daddy (wow) and my nephew Travis is an uncle (cool). I have a sister who has now crossed the line into grandmotherhood, too, but she insists "great aunt" sounds much older than "grandma." Right.

We all couldn't wait for a first look at Tyler. I was checking Facebook like every 30 minutes at work. Finally a picture showed up just as I was talking to my sister RoAnn -- the new grandma -- so I had the privilege of hearing her wonderful reaction at seeing her new grandson! Very cool. (And he's quite adorable, I might add.)

Later today my attention turned to our nephew Colin, who had to race for his life tonight. Well not quite that dramatic. He needed to kick some butt -- finish his races well ahead of the points leader in order to claim the track championship. A lot of things would have had to fall in place for this sort of come-from-behind victory. And all of the things did not.

So he settles for second place but should be very proud of his accomplishments this season. We head to Marshfield tomorrow night where he is a lock to win that championship!

Great things are happening to these great "kids" (ALL my nephews) who seem to be turning into grown men overnight! Gotta love 'em!

If there isn't a National Nephews' Day, there should be. They certainly deserve one.

No comments: