Monday, September 14, 2009

Try it, You Might Like it

Don't freak out on me, but I used my domestic skills 2 days in a row this weekend.

Last night I made another apple treat -- this time an apple cake! Now granted I did use a Tastefully Simple Nana's Apple Cake mix for part of it, but one shouldn't discount my 30 minutes or so of hard labor chopping up those little apples!

I brought the cake to work today and got no complaints there. I actually only came home with one piece for Carter. Apparently I should be wearing the ol' apron more often.

Carter is also trying something new...

Yay, the trumpet came today! He basically is just getting the hang of how you hold the thing. He still has a lot to learn about blowing into it for consistent sound and playing notes.

In this photo he is actually "playing" the intro to Eye of the Tiger. Don't blame me it's an '80s song! And believe me, he's got a long way to go for it to sound anything like it. But, he is enthusiastic about it and wants to succeed.

He had to bring home a goal sheet tonight for his 6th-grade year. Basically, he wrote, he wants to be a great trumpet player and basketball player. We'll settle for good or even nice try. It's just encouraging to see him set goals besides the highest score in Madden '10.

I also have some goals. Tonight I went running for the third day in a row, 3 miles without having to walk. That's a big accomplishment for me after being sedentary so many months. (I won't give the shoes all the credit!) It actually feels good to get moving again.

Let's hope we're all headed in the right direction.

No comments: