Friday, September 11, 2009

A Free Moment

I just got in from some quiet relaxation time in the hot tub. It's a clear night so I was doing a bit of star gazing, trying to find the Big Dipper since Carter had asked about it earlier. Staring up at all those constellations (which I don't know by name but know are on his "star map") really makes me realize how insignificant we are in this universe. But we don't feel that way, do we?

We experience events, successes and failures every day that have some significance in our lives. It's not my place to judge what others deem (or don't deem) important. To a person, our perceptions are unique. However, I am reasonably certain that all Americans (at the least) deem today -- this date -- one of the most significant in their lifetimes.

For homework this week, Carter had to interview me about 9/11 -- Sept. 11, 2001. What was I doing when I heard the news, what did I think, etc. As news editor of a daily newspaper, it was quite the hectic day (and week). I certainly remember that. He did ask me if I had a hard time believing what happened. I said yes. We just always felt safe in America. We just didn't think anything of that tragic magnitude would happen on U.S. soil.

Some good did come out of it. We definitely got a wake-up call about national security and the threat of terrorism. We even bonded as a country -- for awhile. And learned not to take our freedoms for granted.

I will admit I forget to appreciate those freedoms now and then. But having had one nephew serve over in Iraq and Afghanistan and another currently serving in Iraq constantly reminds me there are thousands of men and women putting their lives on the line for our simple freedoms.

Today, because of their sacrifices, I was free to go to work (but I could have taken a vacation day if I wanted to). I was free to spend time with my "hair artist" because we are both women with equal opportunities to work outside the home. I was free to take my son to soccer practice because children are allowed to play rather than tote weapons around, protecting their neighborhoods or their country. I was free to attend a high school football game because the spirit of competition can be positive. I was free to write whatever I wanted in this blog because of the freedom of speech our service men and women fight to preserve.

It's just a simple day in my little life. But I think the freedom to have those days is a pretty significant thing. Don't you?

Let us not forget.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Robyn. So many of us, myself included, take so much for granted. I'm happy to report that Tony did call today. He said that apparantly his system just shut down for a couple hours. He hasn't been sleeping very well and I guess his body just shut down/collapsed and his roommate found him on the floor a couple hours later. He said he's feeling fine. They did check him out. ♥ Lene