Friday, November 20, 2009

As Old As You Feel

They say you're only as old as you feel. Which is why hubby often asks to see my birth certificate. "Are you sure you're not 60?" To which I respond, after a few creaks and groans, "Now listen here, sonny..."

Seriously, some days it's tough to get out of bed when you have a rough (limited) night's sleep. But then, during the day, there's these reminders that we really are getting old.

If you have a teenager in the house (or even if you don't), you probably can't miss the hype around the new Twilight movie this weekend. Seriously? Vampires? What's the big deal? Then I realize the only "vampire" type movie I saw was Fright Night -- and that was way back when I was a junior in high school. C'mon, you remember it, don't you? Yikes. Time flies.

I also realized when I peeked at my diary from my sophomore year, that 25 years ago this week -- that's right, I said 25 -- I got my driver's license! Holy crap. That's just not right! That means Carter will have his temps in 4 years. Ohmigosh. Who started this conversation anyway?

So to further my trip down memory lane, I am going to see an old friend tomorrow. And I can call her old because she's the same age as me -- and boy, do I feel old today. Plus we've been BFFs for more than 25 years -- that's right, I said 25.

Who needs backaches and blood-thirsty movies when you've got friends like that? That's when age feels good. A lifetime of good.

No comments: