Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Just a Flu-ke?

I got the dreaded call from Carter at school this morning. "Mom, I'm sick." He said he had a stomach ache and he just couldn't make it through the day. So I told him to sit tight and somebody would be there.

Now our emergency plan is this: Call Grandpa and Grandma Austin. They're retired. They're close by. They could at least get him to our house until we get there.

Unfortunately, they weren't home. What good are "emergency contacts" is they're not around in an emergency?! OK, I'm not seriously mad or anything. They do have a life which does not involve waiting for their kids to call with pseudo-emergencies.

It just happens to suck for hubby and me since we work an hour away. Some days it comes down to a coin flip. Today, I had something I could do on the computer (which did not go well, by the way!), so I headed to Grant Elementary and he hitched a ride home with a co-worker who also lives in Rapids.

Of course, we're paranoid about Swine Flu and all that. But Carter honestly seemed fine within an hour or 2 after we got home. I only had him eat soda crackers at lunch but later, he was like, "I'm good now," so he had something more. About 3:45, up it came. You know, Pop Tarts don't look so hot the second time around. (Neither does whatever else came up later!)

So he really is sick -- not trying to get out of anything -- and we don't know if it's the Rockin' Pneumonia or the Boogie Woogie Flu. I guess we'd take that over the Piggy Wiggy Flu any day.

Carter, obviously, would rather have none of it. Right now he just wants to keep the popsicle down and be able to eat some crackers yet tonight. I for one hope he succeeds!

No comments: