Friday, February 19, 2010

Chasing Our Tails

When I was Carter's age, we used to have a little dog named Pixie. I couldn't even tell you what kind she was. She reminded me of a wiener dog in a way, but her body and her nose weren't as long. Just a cute little house dog, mostly white with some large brown and black spots.

There are 2 things I remember distinctly about Pixie:

One, she loved popcorn and the challenge of catching pieces in the air. And she liked ice cream, too, now that I think about it, occasionally going on road trips to the drive-in with us.

Two, she was always trying to catch her tail. This provided endless entertainment. Sometimes you'd swear she was circling at 50 mph. It was crazy!

This week I was feeling a little bit like Pixie (and not just the ice cream part). I had a project at work that felt like I was chasing my tail. Just going around and round in a circle, sometimes even getting dizzy with the confusion of things.

The thing about chasing our tails is this: we don't really go anywhere do we? And, how do we stop it, anyway? I know for Pixie, she'd do one of two things. Either she'd tire out and give up. Or, even worse, she'd catch it. Ouch!

I came to the point by this afternoon that I had tired out. I'm not giving up, but hoping Monday brings a new way of finding answers. Something not as dizzying as the chase. And not as painful as bite in my backside.

'Til then, I'll do what Pixie would do. Possibly enjoy some popcorn or ice cream. Definitely find a comfy spot on the couch. Maybe even find someone to scratch my back (or at least massage it).

No comments: