Monday, February 8, 2010

If...

"IF"... Such a teeny-tiny word, but it speaks volumes...

Carter still can't get over the Saints' Super Bowl win. There it is, staring us in the face. The underdog won. "If the Vikings had beat the Saints, we could have beat the Colts," he says. I agree. Indianapolis was favored. But proved to be stoppable. If only Favre hadn't thrown that interception! If...

I tell Carter we just have to get over that last game! But that's the pot calling the kettle black. If I can still get revved up over the stupid Gary Anderson field goal, then I am so not worthy of preaching about moving on. But I keep thinking: If only he would have made it! If...

We all have moments we regret. Some are of a much larger magnitude than cheering for a sports team. They can be life changing. If only I had taken that other job... If only I hadn't married that man... If only I hadn't taken one more drink... If only I hadn't hit my wife... If only I had listened to my mother... If...

Some are much smaller in importance. Like today, if only I would have taken the day off like hubby did, then I wouldn't have had the slippery, slushy drive in. If only I'd remembered to grab the right set of keys, I wouldn't have had to wait outside for someone to let me in at work once I finally got there. If...

On the contrary, if I hadn't brought leftover treats in today, our department wouldn't have been so happy (read: sugar high). If I would have stayed home like I felt like, hubby wouldn't have made us such a yummy supper. If I wasn't the least bit organized, I wouldn't have been able to whip our tax stuff together in such a short amount of time tonight. If Carter hadn't shown such an interest in band, this blog (my typing part anyway) would not be accompanied by trumpet music. If...

Obviously, there is so much out there that is beyond our control. But there are some parts, we can sort of control. Every day, we make hundreds of decisions that chart the course of our attitude, our day and, sometimes, our lives. Do we have to live with those decisions? Yes. Can we change them? Definitely.

If you're not happy where you are or where you're going, see if there is another alternative... See if maybe, just maybe, it's not too late to change direction.

Allow yourself to think: What if...

No comments: