Monday, February 15, 2010

Thank you, Mr. President

A few years ago, my employer decided to add Presidents' Day to our list of annual holidays (read: paid day off). Mostly, I think it's not needed, coming so soon after the "Christmas break." But this year, I was glad for it -- for several reasons.

One, it snowed all day. Lightly, but still enough to accumulate a bit. But I didn't mind, hubby handled the shoveling and we didn't have to drive 45 miles in any direction. Days off in the winter are under-rated!

Two, I didn't have to use a sick day. I am entering Hour 23 of what I hope is just a 24-Hour Bug. If I go by hubby's recovery time, I should be well enough to go to work tomorrow -- but won't see a full return of energy until Wednesday. I hated to waste a day off, but there's not much you can do about it when you have no energy, your body aches and your head is stuffed like a Thanksgiving turkey. I guess I was lucky to have that "extra " day with nothing planned.

Three, it gave Carter an opportunity to check out his new school. The public schools were off for Presidents' Day, so Carter "shadowed" a student at Assumption for the day. Sort of a sneak peek into school life next year. As a bonus, he basically got to meet all of his new classmates. In a word, it was "Awesome!" He's feeling more confident about the change, and so are Mommy and Daddy.

Fourth and final, the Olympics are on all day -- even when normal people are working! Did you know that? For the 2 hours I was not in bed today, I watched some cross-country skiing and some snowboard cross. Not enough to hold my interest when a nap was beckoning. Tonight, though, I hope I can sit up long enough to see plenty of skating.

Daddy and Carter are at a basketball game so, technically, the remote is mine for the night. I have a feeling, though, I'll be in bed early and that rare opportunity will be wasted, too.

Oh well. Thanks for trying, Mr. President.

No comments: