Sunday, February 7, 2010

Super Sunday

Woke up this morning and it definitely did not feel like Super Sunday. I was feeling anything but super. (I swear it wasn't the Vikings Are Done blues either.) Then after a rare 2-hour nap, I felt a little bit better but still several notches under Super. Did that stop me from our Super Sunday festivities? Heck no!

Even without a favorite team in Miami this weekend, there are still a bunch of reasons to watch the game...

One is numbers. Between Jim, Carter and me, we were on at least a half-dozen pools. So you'd think that no matter what the scores were in any quarter, we'd have a darn good chance of winning something. It's not as easy as it sounds. Ah well, I guess I can't afford to sleep in on Monday! I did end up winning our fantasy football playoff challenge. With the 2-week break since playoffs, I had all but forgotten about it. Thank you, Saints defense for an interception return for a touchdown. I will now collect $10 from my 3 "opponents"!

Two is commercials. The Super Bowl has a long-standing history of airing the most memorable commercials from the ones that generate a lump in your throat to the laugh-out-loud funny. I did laugh out loud a few times. Not many. And after several of them, I said, "Huh? I don't get it." I must be getting old (just like the aging but stellar halftime shows the last several years.) My favorites this year were the talking babies of e-Trade, the Betty White commercial and of course, good OLD Brett Favre still weighing retirement in 2020!

Three is football, of course. You'd think I hate the Saints for sweeping our purple and yellow dreams right out from under us. But I don't. I didn't exactly cheer against them. I just happen to be a Manning fan. But really, I just wanted it to be a close, interesting game. It did not disappoint!

Four if food. I brought a couple kinds of bars to a Super Bowl party Jim has been going to for most of its 25-year tenure. I think I counted 7 crock pots there! Always good stuff we don't need. Unfortunately, with my feelings of health and wellness in limbo today, I bypassed most of it. But got enough to keep my tank full!

Fifth and final is friends. Most of the friends at the party were ones we hadn't seen since summer racing. We had a plan, though, that my friend Christine and I would ditch our hubbies before kickoff, then head back to her place so we'd each have a cushy seat, our own blankies and high-def TV to boot. Carter joined us there, too. I don't mind a nice, quiet party. Even if it keeps us up past bedtime!

Which reminds me. Bedtime sounds pretty Super to me right now!

No comments: