Thursday, February 11, 2010

Puppy Love

Part of the fun of grade school was celebrating the holidays (back when we were allowed to) in our classrooms. For Valentine's Day, that meant creating a special card box to serve as your receptacle for sweet wishes.

Since Valentine's Day is still politically correct -- in our school district anyway -- Carter has been able to enjoy this tradition since kindergarten. The basic rule, though, is that you give a Valentine to everyone in your classroom, not just the ones your sweet on. I think that's a good, fair rule. No one gets left out.

I was trying to plan ahead this year so last weekend I bought a bag of assorted Valentine-size candy bars for his classmates. Then I find out 2 days ago that his class isn't having a party. Instead they are going to a movie as a field trip. If they want, they can bring treats in during the week and distribute them. Carter didn't really want to do that (in case he was the only boy to do that) so I took the chocolate to work, where it is getting devoured by people in love -- with chocolate anyway.

I thought that was the end of that. Tonight, though, after we picked Carter up he asks if I have any Valentine stuff at home. I told him I got rid of it all already. Why?

Well, it was like pulling teeth to get a few facts out of him. But we concluded he wanted to get a special valentine for a certain girl we hadn't heard of previously. So we stopped at Wal-Mart. I grabbed a jug of milk for us and Carter picked out a small heart-shaped box of chocolate that said "Puppy Love" on it. Yikes.

When he was done with his homework, he asked me to get one of his school pictures to give to this new gal pal. Then, he wanted to make a card. Of course, I have supplies and Valentine ones at that. "To the Scrap Cave!"

So he made a nice card with some stickers and his picture on it. I don't know what he wrote. And I don't think I want to know. I just hope he doesn't plan on holding hands with her in a dark movie theater tomorrow!

By the way, we're never too old for puppy love, are we? I got some beautiful red and blue tulips delivered to me from my Valentine today. Who knew Valentine's Day was now expanded to a whole weekend -- and one that starts on Thursday even? Gotta love that ... and that hubby of mine.

No comments: