Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Getting to Know You

Once in awhile I get an email from someone labeled something like "Getting to Know You." It goes on to list 10 to 50 questions so your "friends" know all the silly details of your life from your favorite song, snack and movie to your dream vacation destination.

Makes me wonder if I shouldn't fill out something like that on this blog somewhere. But I have a feeling you already know I love ice cream -- but not nearly as much as the 2 guys I'm living with. That's about all you need to know...

If I had given it more thought 3 years ago when I started this blog, I might have called it Tongue in Cheek instead of the On the Light Side. Then, at least, readers would be a little bit more prepared for my sarcastic nature.

It's just part of who I am. While I focused much of my childhood trying to capture attention by being funny and sassy. I certainly spent a good portion of my teen years getting scolded for it. Well, mainly the sassy part.

Some things we never outgrow.

I just want to set the record straight that even though I say things that lead you to believe I think I am perfect, I am anything but. I have many flaws -- which I do try to make light of here. And I certainly don't think I am better than everyone else -- only a few people. (Hint: That was sarcasm. Maybe.)

While I can't turn the sarcasm switch off completely (mainly due to a lack of trying), there are a few things I am sincere about. Always.
  • I love my family more than anything -- from my immediate clan of hubby and brown-eyed boys to my birth family and in-laws.
  • I have a strong faith in God and believe, beyond a doubt, this spirituality saved my life.
  • I have been to Hell and back due to circumstances both beyond my control and in my control. As a result, I want to help people who have suffered or struggled as I did or are facing something completely different. If I can give someone a ray of hope with some encouraging words or lift someone's spirit by sharing a "light" moment in my life, then I am making progress.
I may say, tongue in cheek, than I am perfect. But I am merely striving for progress, not perfection. And, thanks to the support of family and friends, I am getting there... one step at a time, one day at a time.

Thanks for taking time each day to get to know me and share this journey with me.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Thanks Robyn for sharing your life with me! I've been catching up on three weeks of your blog. Very enlightening!