Thursday, February 25, 2010

Medal-some

I've been too busy with other stuff this week to dedicate much couch time for Vancouver. But I catch up on all the news about it -- especially the juicy controversies.

I'm trying to decide which is worse -- not getting the gold because the officials made a bad call or not getting it because your coach did. Ouch! How terrible to think you've won it all, only to have it stripped away. I can't even imagine that roller coaster.

I was hoping that the women's hockey team (with a "girl" from Siren, near my childhood stomping grounds) would take the gold. At least they fought for it. I was quite upset our new cable provider did not have the station carrying these last, very important women's hockey games. Probably not as disappointed as the team, coming home with a silver instead of a gold.

But I say, any athlete should be proud to medal. This means they are among the top 3 in the world. Based on their skill -- not their popularity or some sweet deal brokered by a greedy agent. Just hard work and dedication paying off. I think that's what I love about the Olympics.

I couldn't believe the Canadian figure skater who performed the other night just 2 days after her mother died unexpectedly. I couldn't believe it -- at first. But then when they talked about the Olympics as a dream they shared, I could see why she wanted to skate. For her mom, for her country and for herself. That takes heart.

Since I have tomorrow off and get to sleep in (right), I got to stay up tonight and watch the finals for the women's free skate. Oh how wish I looked that graceful just once in my life! Forget about a vertical leap of any kind. I am way too old for that. But I'm pretty sure I can handle a spin on the ice. Most likely followed by a face plant or pain in my butt.

Yup. It's a good thing they don't give medals for everything. I'd probably have it stripped away anyway for an illegal expletive dropped after my backside landing. Those darn judges!

No comments: