Monday, February 1, 2010

All's Well that Ends... with Pizza

Carter's inaugural basketball season ended how it started -- with plenty of optimism despite a blowout loss. You couldn't ask for more than that.

But wait. There WAS more. There was a season wrap-up pizza party! Whoo-hoo. Gotta love a sport that ends with a full belly and already talk of playing next year.

Carter's team ended up 1-6. And other than the win, only one game was actually close. Usually, they were just put in their place. But, I have been thrilled to observe, it's a happy place. For all the moaning and groaning and pity parties that followed losses in the baseball season last summer, I expected major drama. I was relieved to be proven wrong.

I was hoping to be proven right, however, when we thought in the pre-season that Carter, who loves shooting hoops in the driveway, might have a knack for this game. That didn't exactly play out that way. But this was his learning year and we are so glad he's just excited to be in the game. And he does want to play next year again. But let's not think about that just yet.

There were some other things worth celebrating, too -- not that we need a reason for pizza!

Carter brought his first-semester report card home tonight. We were very pleased to see all of his grades improved from the first quarter -- some quite a bit. At this rate, if he applies himself (famous teacher words) even more in the second semester, he could end up with all A's. But let's not think about that just yet, either.

The other reason I felt like celebrating was due to a letter I received today from one of my cousins who I have been doing "long distance" family tree work with for 10 years. She sent me some documents that finally extend our tree on our grandmother's side. Very exciting! By sheer coincidence and thanks to 2 helpers, bits and pieces of my grunt work are coming together in just a few days here. I'm amazed and very excited. Did I mention I was excited? Trust me, if you've ever done family tree work or just searched for the Holy Grail, you know what I'm feeling!

Definitely worth celebrating. Definitely worth pizza.

Hope you had a pizza-worthy day, too!

No comments: