Friday, February 12, 2010

Let the Germs, er Games, Begin...

Today offered quite a mixed bag of emotions, feelings and... chocolate.

The only thing constant was hubby's nose. It just ran and ran and ran... Not good. My poor Valentine. He went through one box of Kleenex at work. Then we stopped on the way home for more -- plus some drugs we hope will help. The only positive is that, so far, he doesn't have a cough or sore throat with this. Just the unfortunate faucet.

Carter probably had the best day. He loved the field trip movie, Percy Jackson and the Olympians, and he assured me he did not sit by any girl. He did, however, get a whole bag --yes, a whole gift bag (not huge, more like a hardcover book size) -- of treats from his Valentine.

We also learned that this girl is not in his classroom. There are 3 sixth-grade classes at Grant Elementary so, at one time or another, he's been in the same class as everyone. But I suppose it's easier on the teasing scale if she's not in the same room. Who knows? Let's not knock happiness (or the gift of chocolate).

We had hoped the Opening Ceremonies for the Olympics would be a happy and exciting event to watch as a family this evening. However, the death on the luge run added some unwelcome shock and sadness. How tragic. And really, I did not need to see the replay. I covered my eyes, but not in time. Awful, awful, awful.

The entertainment and special effects of the Ceremony itself were pretty cool to see though. It's always a fun way to learn about a country's heritage and culture. I was just glad I knew a few of their homeland's "famous" people. Ha.

Now that the torch is lit, the humidifier is on and the mattress pad is heating, I say: Let the games begin!

No comments: