Thursday, March 18, 2010

Just Pretending

This is the time of year many us pretend we know something about college basketball -- even if we don't watch a minute of it the rest of the season.

Somehow, we feel smart enough to fill out a bracket of some 66 teams and determine the winners of some 66 games, right down to choosing (very confidently, of course) the NCAA champion. All these smart people and their brackets! (That is probably where the term March Madness came from.)

A guy at work is coordinating a pool so Jim, Carter and I all put pencil to paper in hopes of increasing our chances of a financial windfall to the family. We'll see. We haven't had much luck in previous years. But we get smarter with age, don't we?

I realize action started today but I haven't paid much attention to it. Had to do some last-minute grocery shopping, then laundry so I can start packing for the weekend. I squeezed in a quick 2-mile run and showered. Now I'm waiting for my Golden Gopher maroon-colored toe nails to dry while I listen to the Assumption girls in their sectional game on the radio.

Jim is at a concert with his dad if you can believe that. The Kingston Trio is performing in Rapids tonight. Yup, I know you're all jealous but tickets were hard to come by.

Not really.

I just heard the dryer buzz so I better get back at it. I'll have to check sports scores, too, just to see who's bracket in our household is holding up.

Not that we're competitive or anything.

Good luck to all you bracketologers!

No comments: