Thursday, March 4, 2010

Under the Weather

God afton! That's "good evening" in Swedish. Jag skulle vija ha Shamrock Shake. "I'd like a Shamrock Shake."

No, I am not really learning Swedish. I just ordered a dictionary to potentially help me translate a few words on some family tree documents. It came in the mail today and I suspect it will be well worth what I paid for it (2 cents + $3.99 shipping on Amazon) in no time.

I was thinking it might be easiest to have another native language and learn English second. However, I'm coming to realize the English language (as we use it) has soooo many words and phrases that mean the same thing, that it would very, very challenging.

The other night we were on our way to the basketball game and some announcer on the radio mentioned someone wasn't appearing somewhere because they were "under the weather." Carter asks, "What does that mean?" Hubby and I look at each other and both ask, "You've never heard that?" Nope, he says.

We explain that it simply means someone isn't feeling well, they're not 100%, sort of like Carter was Monday when he stayed home from school. Good explanation, but, asks the inquiring mind, "Why do we say that?"

Good question. I had to look it up since I wasn't completely sure and didn't want to pull a LeRoy and make something up. Turns out it stems from back in the days when sailors would feel seasick and would go below deck -- away from and under the weather -- to settle their stomachs and feel better. It made sense on land, too, since the weather can affect some people with certain ailments like arthritis.

Wow, you've learned so much already. Shall I go on?

Actually, that's all I know about that. But it is funny when we stop and listen to ourselves. How many phrases did we use this week without thought to their origin? I was talking with a friend about old wives' tales. Anyone mention March coming in like a lamb? Does anyone have cabin fever? Spring fever?

No wonder English can be a "foreign" language even to our kids. I'm sure Carter will figure it out eventually. After all, he's smarter than the average bear.

... But I have no idea how he stacks up against the above-average ones.

No comments: